To install Windows OS on any PC or Laptop, you need OS files and any drive (CD/USB) to install OS on your device. If you are choosing USB drive for installing the software, first you need to make it bootable before installing the software. There are many ways you can make your USB drive bootable like using softwares, additional files and command prompt methods etc. Among this methods command prompt is the simple and default method for windows to create bootable USB Flash drive. Here we present you in step by step procedure on how to create bootable usb drive for windows operating systems in simple and easy manner.
Steps To Create Bootable USB Flash Drive using Command Prompt :
- First insert your USB Flash drive to your running computer. To open command prompt type “cmd” in search box on windows start menu. Find “cmd” in search results and click on it to open or Run as Administration.
- Type “diskpart” on Command Prompt (without quotes) and hit Enter. Wait for a while until the program runs.
- Type “list disk” to view active disks on your computer and hit Enter. You will be seen all disks on your computer with names like Disk 0, Disk 1 etc,. and with their memory capacities.
- Type ‘select disk 1‘ (Here assuming disk 1 as the required USB drive to make it bootable. If it’s showing ‘disk 0‘ then type ‘disk 0‘ in place of ‘disk 1‘) and hit enter to select the drive that you need to boot.
- Type ‘clean‘ and hit Enter to remove all of data in the USB Flash Drive.
- Type ‘create partition primary‘ and hit Enter. Creating a primary partition and further recognized by Windows as ‘partition 1‘.
- Type ‘select partition 1‘ an hit Enter. Choosing ‘partition 1‘ for setting up it as an active partition.
- Type ‘active‘ and hit Enter to activate current partition.
- Type ‘format fs=ntfs quick‘ and hit Enter. Formatting current partition as NTFS file system quickly.
- Type ‘exit‘ and hit Enter. Leaving DISKPART program but don’t close the Command Prompt instead. After that you need to transfer files to the drive for windows installation.
This is all about how to create bootable usb drive using command prompt for windows operating system. I hope this steps helped you a lot. Thanks for visiting Tech Zonar website.